FINO 2 PLATFORM
Fino 2 platform
FuE, KMF, HOR, BBE
Pilot 4, led by FUE, focuses on the FINO 2 Platform located in the Baltic Sea, which follows similar characteristics to offshore wind farm turbines in adjacent areas. The FINO 2 platform has been successful in anchoring wind turbines in the Baltic Sea, and now serves as a blueprint for the development of new wind parks that are currently under construction or already in operation.
Pilot's key points:
– The primary objective of Pilot 4 is to optimize the production of Baltic Sea specific seaweed and prepare it for entry into the market.
– The pilot will develop seeding techniques for large-scale production of Ulva, and cultivar-specific orientation and light regime exposure in the submerged seaweed grow-out systems will be optimized for the species implemented in the site.
– The project also aims to engage fishermen in monitoring activities and explore the use of generated wind energy.
– Developing a nature-inclusive design to provide a support and ecosystem service for the already very stressed Baltic Sea environment.
– The FINO 2 site presents unique challenges, including low salinity, limited number of suitable species that make cultivation of algae challenging and the need to adapt the systems to specific Baltic Sea conditions.
– The project also faces logistical requirements due to bad weather conditions, winter ice, and long travel distance.
– However, the pilot aims to overcome these challenges through innovative strategies and by piggybacking on existing infrastructure for monitoring and automation.