FINO 3 Platform
FUE, SUB, KMF, DNV, UG, NSF, DTU, BBE
The FINO3 platform, located 80 km offshore in the North Sea and operated by FUE, is the perfect location for testing and demonstrating a commercially viable aquaculture operation. The German North Sea pilot combines the sustainable cultivation of mussels and seaweed. Multi-use research trials are currently being conducted by FUE at this site as part of the Horizon 2020 UNTIED project.
Pilot's key points:
– The pilot aims to plan the functioning of both seaweed and mussel cultivation elements of all system components and their potential combinations at the border of an already existing wind-park.
– Techniques for seeding and strain development of more profitable seaweed species shall be explored for offshore cultivation.
– The pilot will also deploy new cost-effective monitoring techniques to optimize operation and lower costs, explore the potential for utilizing renewable energy produced on-site, and investigate interactions between target culture species and the offshore environment for environmental protection measures.
– The pilot site will implement a commercially viable aquaculture operation designed with cost-effective adaptations needed to meet the requirements of this extreme offshore site.
– The long sea routes demand a perfect organisation and concept for installation and maintenance and decommissioning in an integrated multi-use setting.
– Planning the functioning of both seaweed and mussel cultivation elements of all system components and their potential combinations directly at the border of an already existing wind-park will be a significant challenge, including the required servicing options and resulting technological synergies within integrated offshore wind farms and LTA exploitation.
– Finally, the pilot will need to address the critical issue of interactions between target LTA species and the local natural biosphere.